Monday, September 29, 2008

Bill Shankly, gone but not forgotten


Today is probably the most memorial day for all Liverpool fans now and then, the day of the death of the best manager of Liverpool there was, Bill Shankly. The entire football world stopped to pay their respects as the Reds bade an emotional farewell to the legendary Bill Shankly, who died at the age of just 68. It was an emotional thing for me, watching this one video a fan made on his successful days back then.

Shanks always has something to say. Like,

* 'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

* Shankly to the Brussels hotel clerk who queried his signing 'Anfield' as his address on the hotel register: 'But that's where I live.'

* 'The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they don't know the game.'

* 'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.'

And just showed how much he hated Everton,

* 'Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands, and cut a hole in the lid.' - after beating Everton in the 1971 FA Cup semi-final

* 'In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.'

*
To a local barber, who in 1968 had asked 'Anything off the top?' Shanks retorted: 'Aye, Everton!'

Bill Shankly just showed how much football is just as phenomenal as The Beatles-mania in Liverpool back in the 60's haha. It would've been great if he's still here with us. And people I ended this post with 2 lines from a Liverpool song,


Shankly is our hero, he showed us how to play.
The Mighty Reds of Europe are out to win today!

RIP, Bill Shankly.

No comments: